We are now accepting submissions for our sixth annual Best of the Northwest issue! Out in October, this issue will feature the top picks for wine, beer, spirits and cider the region has to offer and will announce the winners in print to more than 120,000 readers. Each category will award medals to the top four winning submissions (Double Gold, Gold, Silver and Bronze) in addition to Judges’ Picks (six per category), and the issue will also cover industry leaders, trends, travel and products.
The beverages will be tasted blind, with a panel comprised of the Northwest’s top palates, judges and professionals, whose verdict we will relay onto the pages of the issue. Our goal is to provide our readers with unique and original content pertaining to the best of Northwest beverages and create an overall greater consumer awareness and appreciation of our area’s liquid assets.
To submit wines to the 2017 Best of the NW, please use the below rules for entry:
1) Cost of entry is $60 for each individual product submission. Payment is accepted by check at the address listed below, or credit card by clicking here (or by copying the link below into your browser*). The applicable fees must be paid with submission to be entered in the judging.
2) Please fill out the linked submission form (or by copying the link below into your browser**). The forms are divided into three (3) sections and can be accessed by clicking on each: red, white and rosé/sparkling/dessert wines. Each form provides for up to five (5) submissions. If you are submitting more than five (5) products, submit one form and start a second (or third) until you are finished. The submission will not be entered in the judging if the form is not included.
3) Send three (3) samples of each submission of 750ml or four (4) samples of each submission of 500ml or less.
4) Do not send more than two (2) submissions per category. For example, if you produce multiple Cabernet Sauvignons, please only send two as that is all that will be judged for that category.
5) For the categories involved with pricing, it is based on suggested retail price.
6) The product must be currently available in the calendar year of 2017 or by March 1st of 2018.
7) All products must be produced in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Alaska or British Columbia.
8) Submission receiving deadline is Monday, July 10.
*Credit card payment link: https://sipnorthwest.com/wine-submission
**Submission form links:
THE CATEGORIES ARE:
Sangiovese (NEW CATEGORY)
Carménère (NEW CATEGORY)
Grenache (NEW CATEGORY)
Red Single Varietal (Mourvedre, Petit Verdot, Gamay Noir, etc.)
Red Blend – Bordeaux-style (a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec, Petit Verdot and/or Carménère)
Red Blend – Rhone-style (a blend of the red grapes of Rhone Valley origin; Syrah, Mourvèdre, Grenache, Counoise, etc.)
Red Blend – Proprietary (a blend that uses red varieties that originated from all over, “a kitchen sink” blend)
Chardonnay — Unoaked (NEW CATEGORY)
Chardonnay — Oaked
Albariño (NEW CATEGORY)
Grüner Veltliner (NEW CATEGORY)
White Single Varietal (Semillon, Chenin Blanc, Marsanne, Roussanne, etc.)
All types (2016 vintage only, must be released by October 2017)
All types (including Port-style, late harvest, ice wine, etc.)
Ship all entries and check payment to the following address:
Sip Northwest Magazine
Attn: Best Of
1333 N. Northlake Way, Suite E
Seattle, WA 98103
For personal delivery, please call 206-467-4578.