We are now accepting submissions for our seventh annual Best of the Northwest issue! Out in October, this issue will feature the top picks for wine, beer, spirits and cider the region has to offer and will announce the winners in print to more than 120,000 readers. The top four winning submissions of each category will be awarded medals and the issue will also cover industry leaders, trends, travel and products.
The beverages will be tasted blind, with a panel comprised of the Northwest’s top palates, judges and professionals, whose verdict we will relay onto the pages of the issue. Our goal is to provide our readers with unique and original content pertaining to the best of Northwest beverages and create an overall greater consumer awareness and appreciation of our area’s liquid assets.
To submit ciders to the 2018 Best of the NW, please use the below rules for entry:
- Cost of entry is $45 for each individual product submission. Payment is accepted by check at the address listed below, or credit card by clickingHERE (or by copying the link below into your browser*). The applicable fees must be paid with submission to be entered in the judging.
- Please fill out the linked submission form by clicking HERE (or by copying the link below into your browser**). Each form provides for up to five (5) submissions. If you are submitting more than five (5) products, submit one form and start a second (or third) until you are finished. The submission will not be entered in the judging if the form is not completed online.
- Send four (4) samples of each submission for 500ml or less, two (2) samples for 22-ounce or 750ml bottles or one (1) growler.
- Do not send more than two (2) submissions per category. For example, if you produce multiple specialty ciders, please only send two as that is all that will be judged for that category.
- For the categories involved with pricing, it is based on suggested retail price for the full unit, before tax. As in, if this cider only comes in 4-packs, please provide that price.
- The product must be currently available in the calendar year of 2018 or by February 1st of 2019.
- All products must be produced in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana or British Columbia.
- Submission receiving deadline is Wednesday, June 20.
Note: if you do not currently bottle and will be sending a growler, please call Melissa Miller at 206-518-0175 to coordinate.
*Credit card payment link: https://sipnorthwestp.wpengine.com/product/2018-cider-submission
**Submission form link: https://goo.gl/forms/YLlkAKYiDKNoy8KX2
THE CATEGORIES ARE:
- Heritage: usually/mostly heirloom or cider-specific fruit, slower fermentation production, typically 3+ months, Old World-inspired
- Modern: usually/mostly culinary fruit, faster ferment, typically 1 month or less, New World-inspired
- Perry: 100% fermented pear, can be labeled as pear cider as long as it is all pear juice
- Pear: cider base infused or co-fermented with pear juice
- Stone fruit: cider base infused or co-fermented with stone fruit, such as cherry, apricot, plum, etc.
- Fruit: cider base infused or co-fermented with other fruits, such as berry, tropical fruit, citrus, etc.
- Ginger: cider base infused or co-fermented with ginger
- Hopped: cider base infused with hops
- Oak-aged: aged in or with oak
- Single varietal: must be 80% varietal
- Spiced/Botanical: cider base infused or co-fermented with spices, herbs, tea, etc.
- Specialty: cider base infused or co-fermented with squash, coffee, rhubarb, pepper, etc.
SHIP ALL ENTRIES TO THE ADDRESS BELOW:
Sip Northwest Magazine
Attn: Best Of
1333 N. Northlake Way, Suite E
Seattle, WA 98103
For personal delivery, please call Melissa Miller at 206-518-0175.
Note for BC cideries: If you do not have ability to ship to Washington State, please email Melissa Miller at email@example.com for further instructions.
Sip Northwest is an award-winning publication covering the wine, beer, spirits and cider of the Pacific Northwest. Please join us in finding the best of the year to highlight and showcase in this issue. Thank you!