We are now accepting submissions for Sip Northwest magazine’s eighth annual Best of the Northwest issue! Out in November, this issue will feature the top picks for wine, beer, spirits and cider the region has to offer and will announce the winners in print to more than 120,000 readers. The top four winning submissions of each category will be awarded medals and the issue will also cover industry leaders, trends, travel and products.
The beverages will be tasted blind, with a panel comprised of the Northwest’s top palates, judges and professionals, whose verdict we will relay onto the pages of the issue. Our goal is to provide our readers with unique and original content pertaining to the best of Northwest beverages and create an overall greater consumer awareness and appreciation of our area’s liquid assets.
To submit ciders to the 2019 Best of the NW, please use the below rules for entry:
- Fill out the linked submission form by clicking HERE (or by copying the link below into your browser*). Each form provides for up to five (5) submissions. If you are submitting more than five (5) products, submit one form and start a second (or third) until you are finished. The submission will not be entered in the judging if the form is not included.
- Cost of entry is $45 for each individual product submission. Payment is accepted by check at the address listed below, or credit card by clicking HERE (or by copying the link below into your browser**). The applicable fees must be paid with submission to be entered in the judging.
- Send four (4) samples of each submission for 500ml or less, two (2) samples for 22-ounce or 750ml bottles or one (1) growler.
- List the price of the product based on suggested retail price before taxes. For example, if the cider you are submitting comes in 4-packs, please provide that price.
- The product must be currently available in the calendar year of 2019 or by February 1st of 2020.
- All products must be produced in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana or British Columbia.
- Submission receiving deadline is Tuesday, July 9.
Note: if you do not currently bottle and will be sending a growler, please email Melissa Miller at email@example.com to coordinate.
*Submission form link: https://tinyurl.com/sipnorthwestbestofcider
**Credit card payment link: https://sipnorthwest.com/product/2019-cider-submission/
THE CATEGORIES* ARE:
- Heritage (mostly cider-specific or heirloom apples, slow fermentation production, typically 3+ months)
- Modern (mostly culinary apples, fast fermentation production, typically 1 month or less)
- Perry (100% fermented pear, can be labeled as pear cider as long as it is all pear juice)
- Fruit-infused (pear, berries, citrus, pineapple, etc.)
- Stone fruit-infused (plum, apricot, cherries, mangoes, etc.)
- Wood-aged (cider aged with wood and/or oak)
- Single varietal (must be 80% varietal)
- Spiced/Botanical (spices, herbs, tea, etc.)
- Specialty (ginger, squash, coffee, rhubarb, pepper, etc.)
*Though unlikely for most, all categories are subject to change if submissions are too low or too high. In the case of lower submissions, cider would be merged into an appropriately fitting category; for higher submissions, a category of its own would be created.
- Carefully package all glass-format ciders, especially growlers, as shipping companies are not always gentle.
- Please not use packing peanuts or popcorn.
- Ship all entries and
check payments to the following address:
Sip Northwest Magazine
Attn: BEST OF CIDER
1333 N. Northlake Way, Suite E
Seattle, WA 98103
For personal delivery, please email Melissa Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sip Northwest is an award-winning publication covering the wines, beers, ciders and spirits of the Pacific Northwest. Please join us in finding the best of the year to highlight and showcase in this issue. Thank you!